Moving is a complicated process, it means deciding what is going with you and what goes into storage. Along with this comes packing, researching, and hiring a moving company or renting a truck, making the move and then, of course, getting the bill (you may also have to put down a deposit up front). Ideally, you avoid mover drama pitfalls, you find a great moving company, and your move goes off without a hitch.
This is unfortunately not always the case. The moving industry is not immune to shady business practices and anyone planning on moving should be cautious of who they choose to do business with. The California Moving & Storage Association (CMSA) provides the following tips to help consumers avoid moving company fraud:
- Don’t book a move over the phone or online without confirming that the mover is established locally. Drive by the location, go in, meet the company personnel, and use your judgment to determine whether the business seems trustworthy and professional.
- Confirm the company’s license. Movers are legally required to show their legitimacy on all documentation.
- Confirm the company license number with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) or the CMSA.
- Get written estimates for moves of at least three rooms. Legal moving companies have competitive prices. If you get an oddly low estimate, the company may be illegal or may have made a mistake, which means that your bill will be higher on moving day.
- Beware movers that charge by cubic foot, these are likely illegal. Legitimate movers charge hourly for local moves and by mileage/weight for longer distance moves.
- Moving “bandits” take advantage of consumers by charging unreasonable fees for unnecessary and extensive packing for items that should be pad wrapped, like furniture.
- Bandits will intimidate or pressure consumers to tip the movers. Tipping is not normal practice but is acceptable when the service is exceptional.
Following these tips can help your move go as smoothly as possible. If you live in Southern California and have any moving or storage questions, don’t hesitate to call the San Gabriel Valley self-storage facility, STORBOX. Our professional and friendly staff is available to help you with your moving and storing needs 7 days/week. Call us today at (626) 793-9888 to learn more about our services.