Americans move quite often compared to other residents of the world. Whether it’s house to house, apartment to apartment, or state to state, Americans are a mobile populace. When you combine this with the fact that Americans own more possessions than those of any other culture, you can imagine how moving is a major part of our lives.
While some people who are changing residences use professional movers, many others rely on the help and good will of friends, neighbors, relatives, and coworkers. While this practice may be cost effective and convenient, it can also lead to injury, and damage to property.
Here are a few tips to help keep your move safe and injury free:
- Pack wisely: When packing boxes, keep their weight under 50 pounds. This helps prevent injury to anyone who lifts the boxes, and also prevents one box from crushing another.
- Use appropriate equipment: Hand trucks (dollies), appliance dollies, ramps, and moving straps can make moving heavy items much easier with less risk for injury.
- Pre-inspection: Make note of uneven sidewalks, steep stairways, narrow corners, and other possible hazards that could affect your move.
- Work as a team: Even if you think you can carry a heavy object by yourself, ask for help. An extra set of hands can never hurt, they’ll always help prevent injury and make the task of moving easier.
- Be smart about lifting: Always lift with your legs, not your lower back. Your leg muscles are among the biggest and strongest muscles of your body. Don’t bend over and lift, that puts the strain on your lower back. Make sure to squat and lift, using the strength of your legs to bear the weight of what you’re lifting.
For more tips on moving, consult the moving and storage professionals at STORBOX Self Storage in Pasadena, California.
We have many different sized units to suit your storage needs. You can check out our secure facilities at 2233 East Foothill Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91107, or call us at (626) 407-3439.