When storing your valuables at Storbox, it may be months until you see them again. Whether this is due to a busy schedule or simply because these possessions are not needed for daily life, your items could be out of sight for an extended period of time. And while our secure and well maintained facility means that you do not have to worry about the safety of your stored items, it’s vital that you stored them properly.
But what should you do in order to make sure your breakable items are stored properly?
While we recommend that you take some ordinary precautions, such as not creating a totem pole with all of your boxes or lining the floor with your pieces of fine china, there are many other steps that can be taken.
Imagine a single dish, 100 years old, made of porcelain, and originally created to commemorate your great-grandparents’ wedding. (This has been selected both for its breakability and the extreme sadness you might feel if an accident were to occur.) Now imagine that you are placing this dish inside one of our storage units. What can you do to keep it safe?
- Swathe the dish with copious amounts of bubble wrap until it is no longer visible through the hundreds of opaque plastic bubbles.
- Use a specialty box, perfectly sized to fit the plate, yet with enough room so that it does not bump against the sides.
- Fill up all extra space in the box with old newspaper to prevent the plate from shifting around during transit.
- Seal the box with packing tape and create a hermetically sealed interior environment that would be perfect for a plate if it were alive. If you’ve already broken the plate, this can be used to stick it back together! No one ever has to know …
- Choose a premium shelf location, such as on a high shelf (but not too high!), for maximum safety and an overwhelming sense of pride in your skilled packing abilities.
- A padlock for locking your unit up tight. Don’t worry, our employees won’t be offended.
For maximum protection, consider using all of these methods! Form a big ball of bubble wrap around the plate, stick it in a stylish box, pack the corners of that box with pages of your favorite newspaper, then wrap the box with tape, then create a BIGGER ball of bubble wrap around that box, reinforced with more packing tape! By the time you’re done, you should be able to use it as a medicine ball for some old-timey exercise!
Whatever your storage needs may be, Storbox not only offers safe units, but also packing supplies, which are available at our facility. Call us at (626) 793-9888 to learn more about how we can help you.