As sad as we may be to see it go, summer is gradually coming to an end. That means saying “goodbye” to swimsuits, shorts, and sandals until next year and “hello” to sweaters, jackets, and boots. If you don’t have room at home to store your seasonal clothes year-round, a self-storage unit is a good option. Here are some best practices for properly storing your seasonal clothes…
- Keep them clean. Launder or dry clean your clothes before you pack them away, that way they will be nice and fresh when you come to use them next year.
- Hang them high. Choose what kind of hangers you’ll need. Avoid wire hangers whenever possible. Coats and jackets should be hung on padded hangers. Pants should be hung folded or straight.
- Box them up. Sweaters, tee shirts, and shorts can all be conveniently boxed. Use plastic containers rather than cardboard. The adhesive that cardboard boxes are made from can attract bugs. Lidded plastic storage containers will keep your clothes safe and dry without damaging the materials.
- On the rack. Rolling garment racks are a good idea for self-storage spaces. They allow you to hang garments easily and they are accessible and portable. They’re great for hanging heavier garments like coats, suits and jackets.
- Case the joint. You can kill two birds with one stone by packing seasonal clothes into suitcases. That way you have a storage solution for your clothes and for your spare luggage.
- Hand me down. As your children grow older their clothes soon become too small. If you have several children, you can save money by packing up the clothes they grow out of and saving them for the next generation. Simply keep them in your storage unit until they are needed.
- Preserve the precious. If you are storing special items, such as a wedding dress, or items which you will not be accessing for a long time, consider having them professionally preserved. Many dry cleaners offer this service.
If your Pasadena home is short on closet space and you need somewhere to store your seasonal clothes, we have the perfect storage space to suit your needs at STORBOX. Call us today at (626) 407-3439 to find out about our special deals on all sizes of traditional and climate controlled self-storage units. As a bonus, if you rent a unit that’s 100 square feet or larger, we’ll give you a free full day use of a move-in truck.