If your home is short on closet space, one way to keep your closet functional is to rotate your seasonal clothes. In the spring, you can take all of your fall and winter clothes and pack them away for next year. Conversely as fall approaches, you will want to take the cold weather clothes out of storage and put the hot weather things away. Here are some tips on how to store your clothes so that they will stay looking good and be ready to wear next season.
- First, check the garment for any stains or tears. Treat the stains and repair any damage so that when you take out the garment to wear next season, you know it is looking its best.
- Second, launder the clothes and dry them completely. Never put damp clothes into storage because they will mildew.
- Third, fold the items neatly and organize them by type so that they will be easy to find when you need them.
- Fourth, choose the container you want to use. Durable plastic containers with snap-on lids or vacuum storage bags are good options. Vacuum storage bags are especially useful for bulky winter clothes like down jackets because they make them much more compact. Cardboard boxes are not recommended for storing clothes because insects or rodents may be able to get inside.
- Lastly, before you seal up the container, add a dryer sheet to keep clothes smelling fresh. You may also want to add moth balls to ensure that your clothes won’t get damaged.
At STORBOX, a self-storage facility, we offer a range of affordable storage units in Altadena and other locations to meet your individual needs. Our knowledgeable staff can help you choose the storage option that’s right for you. Contact us today to get started! Call 626-793-9888.