Protecting your valuables is important when you keep them in a storage unit. However, an ordinary storage unit can damage your property. Your leather furniture needs a climate-controlled storage unit to keep it safe. Knowing how to prepare your leather furniture for storage in a climate-controlled unit can make it easier for you to keep your property from problems.
Why Have a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit?
Ordinary storage units can become too cold or too hot, causing leather furniture to crack. Storage facilities in areas with high humidity can become too moist and furniture can suffer moisture destruction with the formation of mildew and mold. Moisture in a storage unit can also attract rodents and insects.
What Is a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit?
A climate-controlled self-storage unit, such as the ones found at STORBOX, is a storage unit where the temperature range is controlled. A general industry standard for this is a temperature range between 50 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. The climate-controlled unit may have humidity control to prevent moisture damage, mildew, mold, and rot.
Preparing Your Leather Furniture for Climate-Controlled Storage
The critical step before storing any property is to remove moisture and avoid leaving food remnants that would attract insects and rodents. If your property is leather furniture, it is important to use the appropriate cleaner, cleaning techniques, and storage procedures.
- Use the soft brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner to gently vacuum up any food crumbs or other debris on and in your furniture. Mice, rats, and insects are attracted to dirt and food crumbs.
- Use professional leather cleaner to clean your furniture—don’t use homemade formulas or saddle soap to clean the leather. There are many homemade formulas on the Internet, but some of these can damage your furniture. Follow leather cleaner directions.
- Hire a professional cleaner to clean the furniture if you have expensive or vintage leather furniture.
- Put thick plastic sheets on the floor of the storage unit to prevent moisture from reaching your furniture. You can also put your furniture on wooden pallets to keep it off the storage area floor.
- Put a thin layer of soft fabric over the furniture. Do not use plastic because this will trap moisture and develop mold and mildew on your furniture.
- Don’t put items on top of your leather furniture because other items can cause indentations in the leather.
If your Pasadena home is short on closet space and you need somewhere to store your stuff, we have the perfect storage space to suit your needs at STORBOX. Call us today at (626) 407-3439 to find out about our special deals on all sizes of traditional and climate-controlled self-storage units. As a bonus, if you rent a unit that’s 100 square feet or larger, we’ll give you a free, full day of use of our move-in truck.