As a musician, you have a special relationship with your instrument. In many ways, it is an extension of who you are as a person. If you’re a guitarist, your guitar and amplifier are the brush, paints, and canvas you use to create your art. You want your instrument safe and secure while you’re not using it.
Most guitarists have a collection of guitars and amplifiers they use to get different sounds or play different types of music. The problem is, guitars and amps are bulky and can take up a lot of room when you’re not using them. If you’re going to store your guitars and amplifiers in a storage facility, here’s how you can keep them in excellent condition for your next gig or recording session.
For acoustic guitars:
• Choose a climate controlled storage space. Excessive heat and humidity can cause damage to acoustic instruments.
• DO NOT loosen or remove guitar strings. The strings provide tension that keeps the neck straight.
• Before storing, treat your guitar with wood-preserving oil and protective wax.
• Store the guitar in a hard shell, plush-lined guitar case.
• Lay the case flat.
For electric guitars:
• Polish the instrument thoroughly with guitar polish.
• Store the guitar in a hard shell case and lay it flat.
• Put a silica pack in the case with the guitar to soak up moisture.
• Put a silica pack in the back of the amp to reduce moisture.
• Wrap the amp in bubble wrap. This will keep out dust and protect its exterior.
For musicians in Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley, Storbox self storage on Foothill Boulevard offers climate-controlled units at affordable prices. Call them today at (626) 407-3439 to enquire about available units.