While new electronic devices like Nook and Kindle are becoming more popular, many of us “bibliophiles” still have a love affair with turning pages the old fashioned way. We keep books for many reasons. Books like high school yearbooks or books that were gifts, we may keep for sentimental reasons. Others may be our favorites that we’ll want to read again someday.
But, books do take up a lot of room and we may one day decide to store our treasures in a storage unit. Here are some tips for keeping your books in good condition while they’re not on your shelves:
- First, find a storage unit that’s free of moisture and not exposed to extreme temperatures.
- Dust off the books with a soft paintbrush. Never use anything like a damp cloth to clean books that you want them to be as dry as possible when you pack them away.
- Wrap each book individually in bubble wrap or some sort of plastic. Never wrap books in newspaper. Newspaper is acidic and will damage the book.
- Pack the wrapped books in clean, dry boxes. Never use boxes that formerly contained food. The smell of food can attract insects and rodents.
- Put a small silica packet in each box. This is particularly important in humid climates.
- Don’t put the boxes directly on the floor. Ideally, you want the boxes on shelves or on top of a wooden pallet.
- Check the boxes from time to time to make sure they haven’t gotten damp or infested with insects.
Like it or not, books are made of organic material (paper) and will eventually decay. To keep your books in the best condition possible, follow the steps above and find a reputable storage facility. STORBOX Self Storage in Pasadena has more than 20 different sized units at varying prices, many of them climate controlled. Call them at (626) 407-3439 or visit them at 2233 East Foothill Blvd.