The way you choose to store your wine can have a significant impact on how well it will age. There are more ways than one to properly store wine, but there are some tips that every collector should consider. Here are five useful storage tips to help your collection age to perfection:
- Control and monitor the temperature of your wine storage area. The temperature of the space will affect the way the wine ages. Ideally, you should use a cellar, refrigerator, cabinet, or storage room that is consistently between 55 and 57 degrees. If the room’s temperature fluctuates, it can ruin the wine or make it age too quickly.
- Control the humidity of your storage space. Corks can become too moist or too dry. Corked wine is best kept in a space that is between 50 to 80 percent humid.
- Remove all sunlight from your storage area. Light emits heat and UV rays which can cause organic compounds in wine to degrade, ruining the wine. Therefore, you should have a dark space that is completely free of windows.
- Keep your wine collection free from odor. The way your storage area smells can affect the way your wine tastes. You should take into consideration what else you have stored near your collection. Your shelves should be treated with an odorless finish that is made for wine storage, and the type of paint you use on the walls should be carefully considered. Keeping smells out of your storage space will keep odor out of your wine.
- Get organized! It can prove helpful to have a sorting system in place. Whether you prefer a paper system or a computer wine database, keep records of how long your wine has been aging. This way, you will have a better chance of opening a bottle at the right time.
Last but not least, don’t forget to have fun! Perhaps the best thing about having a wine collection is that you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. If you want to expand your collection, or if you want a space that is climate controlled and free of sunlight, contact the storage specialists at STORBOX. We proudly house a number of large collections from wine lovers just like you.